Home

Posted on 8:39 PM by Tina

"I'm sorry I got home late," S said as he walked in the door.

S has been staying with me for just a few days since he left his wife, until his apartment is ready for move in. I was struck by the use of the word "home" as he has only been here a few days and he isn't moving in permenantly, just visiting.

S has used "home" to refer to where he belongs. Being home for him implies this is where he is comfotable, accepted and peaceful. I was flattered that he felt this way in my home. I would do anything to accomodate him and help him through this transition.

After holding me tight and kissing me for a bit, he pulled back and looked into my eyes, relaxed and tired after a long day motorcycling with his buddies. I realized in that moment that it was not my house to which he was referring, but my embrace. In my embrace he had found his home.

1 comments:

Storm said...

What an awesome written expression of how home is more about the person you are with than it is about the roof over your head.

Post a Comment